Saturday, March 30, 2013

When Doctors become dangerous?

I want to share my experience with everyone having kids. I never believed in alternative medicines. We go to  one of the most popular paediatrician in Dehradun. He is the most expensive and it takes hours of waiting to see him even after taking appointment.
When my daughter was two years old she got high fever and it was not going down with paracetamol. When I took her to doctor, she was diagnosed with Tonsillitis. She was given antibiotics and other medicines and she was cured. Again not even two months were passed she became ill again. It was tonsillitis again. This time she was given different antibiotic. She was on bottle feed so doctor asked me to stop giving bottle to her otherwise she would be getting infection again and again. As she was on strong medicines and had pain in tonsils, she stopped eating at all. I had no option to give her bottle. I changed her bottles and kept all precautions but after that she kept falling ill every two months. And as she lost all interest in eating she lost all her stamina. I tried all kind of food but she liked only those things which would harm her.
I kept trying and finally got successful in making her drink milk without bottle. I was happy as I though I got rid of her illness but she again got same symptoms of vomiting, fever and coughing. And this time we were travelling. We have to cut short our travel and comeback and go to the doctor. This time to our surprise she was diagnosed with Pneumonia!!! I asked doctor that he only vaccinated her against pneumonia then how can this happen???????
That was Viral pneumonia and she was vaccinated against bacterial pneumonia !!!!!!!!!
she lost all her weight as she was not able to swallow anything and she was vomiting even medicines out. This time we had to put her to nebulization. And she was given a new set of antibiotics injections. She was getting injections thrice a day for a week both her hands were swollen. The way she used to cry still brings tears in my eyes.
We followed everything doctor told us gave her all the medication and she was normal in fifteen days. Doctor told us that she caught the infection from surroundings and we can not do anything in it.
She was doing well for next three months and then she started coughing in night. I thought its regular cough and cold and she will be all right and suddenly one morning she started coughing like dog and she was not able to sit at one place because of coughing. I rushed her to doctor and I was shocked when he said she has got bronchitis asthma !!!!!!! He said once child has got infection in chest she is prone to get this kind of infections. I felt like someone stabbed in my chest. I asked him was it one time problem or she will get it again. He said she is allergic to something and we will have to find out to what she is allergic. Then we should avoid those things.
Again she had to be given nebulization thrice a day for 10 days and antibiotics and other medicines. The medicines on which it was written that to be given to growing kids in extreme conditions.
After ten days when she was well, her doctor asked me to give her inhaler  and anti allergy syrup for two months as a treatment. He said this was to be given so that she doesn't get this kind of infection again. I started the treatment. It was written on inhaler that not to be given to growing kids. I thought he is such a good doctor he must have given her for a cause.
My daughter became so cranky that whole day she kept crying for one thing or other. Meanwhile few of my colleagues and relatives suggested me to go to homoeopathy but I ignored. I trusted my doctor and continued treatment of my daughter as he prescribed.
Only a month was passed one morning she got up and didn't stop coughing. She was panting and coughing like anything. My brain stopped working but my heart refused to go to the doctor. It came to mind that if I go to the same doctor she would have to undergo similar treatment that means all those harmful medicines.
It was nine in the morning I was puzzled just took my car out. I drove and without even deciding I drove her to a homoeopathic doctor. I've heard his name once or twice and his clinic was in the heart of city so I've seen that.
We were there before 10 so waited for him to come, he arrived around ten thirty. As condition of my daughter was so bad that we were allowed to see him without appointment. He saw her file and examined her. Then what he said was totally unbelievable. He said that she doesn't have bronchitis asthma at all. I could not catch technical terms he told but I could make out that she is having Tonsillitis and that is why infections are going in. He also told me that inhaler which I was giving my daughter contained steroids. And she is getting dependant on it. He also told me that treatment of pneumonia was also wrong as she didn't had it. He gave her three weeks medicine and we came home.
It took three days to get my daughter fine and stop coughing and panting. And after that she didn't cough again. Three weeks are getting over and my daughter has started behaving normally. She stopped crying without reason and she started eating.
I'm still not sure that treatment which is going on is the best. It is not that I did not show her to any other doctor. Many a times when I used to b e in Ghaziabad or that doctor used to be out of town I took her to other doctors. She didn't responded to other doctors. In Ghaziabad , after having medicines she got loose motion and when she was treated for loose motion she stopped passing stool. Here in Dehradun when I took her to other doctor , she felt so sleepy after having medicines and there were so may medicines he gave her.

I'm still confused as what went wrong . What any body does when kids fall ill  He/She takes him/her to a doctor. I did the same. I took her to the best available doctor in the city. And the medicines only made her conditions worse and worse. What should we do? Should we go to different doctors and get medicines counter checked? How can we know that treatment which is going on is correct and it does not have side effects? My daughter suffered for more than a year and I'm still not sure weather she is cured completely or not. I keep my fingers crossed and my heart sinks when she even sneezes. Only thought of her getting well keeps going in my mind.
I just wish a very good health to all the kids all over the world!

2 comments:

  1. very bad experience, but we should take second opinion when we are seeing that treatment is not good or uneffective. Anyway its a Good news that she is well now, if she still face any problem in future try to consult any Good doctor in delhi.If you need any help from my side regarding that Doctor in Delhi,please let me know .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lalit that is the point I want to make that we take second opinion only when treatment is ineffective. She always responded well to the medicines but one thing led to other...
    Please give a good paediatrician address as I'm not yet sure of her treatment.

    ReplyDelete